The BIG News!
The new HIVE, with a new user interface, management portal and project activity logging has just launched! You will certainly want to get your firm upgraded. Here is what you need to know:
The previous version of HIVE will continue to work for a while, so you do not have to scramble to get the new HIVE installed today. The previous version will work for users to browse and load content, and it will continue to be editable to BIM Managers, however nothing done in the current edition of HIVE will show up in the new HIVE. The upgrade to the new system has happened as of Friday, May 8th, so please upgrade as soon as you can to avoid missing content and users.
So, what is new?
The new HIVE CMS user interface (UI) has been streamlined in every way, to allow users far easier navigation. Similarly, the management portal has been significantly updated to make your management tasks much more straightforward. You can perform nearly all management tasks from your web browser, either on a PC or a mobile device.
Reporting has gone from Beta to full release, so your project activity and content metrics are available from the management portal instantly.
What do you need to do?
At a minimum, you will need to download and install the new HIVE CMS for yourself:
- Download the installer: https://ctcsoftware.com/software-downloads/CTC_HIVE_2021.zip
When you are ready, you can roll these installs out to your team:
- The HIVE CMS and the PAL utilities can be deployed using the same techniques you have used before.
- If you need more information about how to install the CMS or the PAL utility, please review the installation and configuration guides in the download package.
You do not need to worry about any of the content you had in the previous version of HIVE. It is all there, along with all your users, groups, libraries and rights. So initially you can just install the CMS and go.
You may want to host an internal “Lunch and Learn” for your team to show them the new UI. Alternately, you can sign up for the webinar CTC is hosting on Tuesday, May 12th, which will be recorded for viewing at a later time from the videos link inside the new HIVE CMS, and from our YouTube channel.
HIVE Project Activity Logger (PAL)
Have you been using HIVE’s Project Activity Logger (PAL) tool while it was in Beta? Or do you use the BIM Data Suite with the internal PAL tool? If so, fantastic! However, if you want to continue to log data to the new HIVE portal, you will need to make a few updates.
- If you are using BIM Data Suite’s PAL, please get the 2021 install and update ASAP
- If you were using the HIVE PAL Beta, uninstall it.
- The new HIVE download, linked above, has the new HIVE PAL client that works with the new HIVE management portal
- Get your new configuration file from the HIVE portal on the Project à Settings tab
- After installing the new HIVE PAL, save the config file to:
If you want to know more about how you can automate the uninstall/install of any of these pieces, review the installation and configuration guide that comes with the new HIVE download. The instructions in that guide are more detailed than this blog post and will help answer most of your upgrade questions.
If you are having any issues, please do not hesitate to contact our support teams. We have teams ready for you in different regions.